What is hippotherapy?
Hippotherapy is a Greek term meaning treatment with the help of a horse. It is a physical, occupational and speech therapy treatment strategy that utilizes equine movement. Hippotherapy is utilized as part of an integrated treatment program to achieve functional outcomes.
In hippotherapy, the patient engages in activities on the horse that are enjoyable and challenging. In the controlled hippotherapy environment the therapist modifies the horse's movement and carefully grades sensory input. Specific riding skills are not taught (as in adaptive horseback riding); but rather a foundation is established to improve neurological function and sensory processing. This foundation can be generalized to a wide range of daily activities.
Please take a look at the American Hippotherapy Association website for more information.
• Program directed by a HPCS (Hippotherapy Clinical Specialist)
• Outdoor arena use
• Treatment by a professional occupational or speech therapist in conjunction with a horse handler, and a side-walker
• Scheduling in 30 or 60 minute units as a 1:1 treatment
• Direct participation by therapist at all times
• Use of the horse's movement along with horse-related activities to assist in meeting therapy goals
email@example.com - 911 West Main St. Eaton, OH 45320 - Phone 937.456.6505 Fax 937.456.6507
© 2018. All Rights Reserved Triangle Therapy Services, LLC
Summer Session: Mon/Wed/Thurs
Starts the week of Jun. 18 - Aug. 10
Fall Session: TBA
Insurance billing is available, if eligible.
Recommendation from an OT/PT/ST is preferred and a Physician Prescription is required.